Sealcoating is a defensive layer designed to protect your driveway from harmful elements. Sealant mixtures are bituminous- or acrylic-based liquids. The liquid base is mixed with water, silica sand, polymer additives and other fillers to achieve a premium formula. When applied on a regular schedule, sealcoating doubles the life of a driveway or parking lot.
What Is Asphalt Sealcoating?
Asphalt sealcoating involves sealing asphalt cracks to prevent ice and water from entering and disturbing the integrity of your driveway or parking lot. Over time, rain, oil and other chemicals degrade asphalt, creating a brittle surface that is both unsafe and unattractive. It is crucial that any oil stain or other chemicals are removed and cleaned from the surface before sealcoating.
Many homeowners prefer to maintain their asphalt with a pavement sealing plan. Rather than spending thousands of dollars to replace your driveway, you’ll save time and money when you apply a sealcoat product.
How Often Should You Sealcoat Your Driveway?
Experts argue over when to sealcoat – or resurface – asphalt driveways and parking lots. Sealcoating frequency depends on two factors: climate and the condition of your pavement. Homeowners who live in climates that experience four seasons – including hot summers and cold, wet winters – need to sealcoat more often than homeowners who live in dry, mild climates.
Generally, you should reseal your driveway or parking lot every two to three years. However, judge your driveway’s appearance with a critical eye. Is it gray and weathered? Are there small, hairline cracks? If so, you may need to reseal once a year or as needed.
How Much Does Sealcoating Cost?
The average cost to seal a two-car asphalt driveway that measures 20’ x 24’ is $100 to $190. Asphalt sealer generally costs between $.06 to $.30 per sq. ft. Costs depend on the condition of your driveway, if you use an eco-friendly sealer, and if you apply one or two coats.
Learn more about average asphalt sealcoating costs by use:
- Residential driveways – $100 to $190
- Parking lots – $7,400 to $10,400 (per acre)
- Patios and walkways – $100
- Basketball courts – $600 to $1000
How Much Driveway Sealer Will I Need?
To calculate the cost to sealcoat your asphalt driveway, find the square footage of your driveway. Then, multiply it by the sealcoat price per square foot. If you’re hiring a contractor for the job, be sure to add labor costs.
- Calculate driveway size (length x width)
- Multiply square footage by sealcoating cost (include labor costs, if necessary)
- Add 50% more if you’re applying two coats
For example, one gallon of INTEGRA-SEAL® asphalt sealercovers approximately 100 sq. ft. Coverage rate varies due to age, surface, pavement condition and porosity. Newer pavements require less sealant.
Advantages of Sealcoating Your Driveway or Parking Lot
Sealcoating is an easy way to extend the life of your pavement, save money and boost your home’s curb appeal. Create a plan to sealcoat your asphalt driveway or parking lot this season, and you’ll start seeing the benefits:
- Long-term cost savings
- Protection from oxidation, oil and chemicals
- Protection from ice, rain, frost and snow
- Beautiful, dark surface color and texture
- Extended pavement life for years to come
For more information about sealcoating, check out INTEGRA-SEAL® asphalt sealer.
Need a Sealcoating Solution? Choose INTEGRA-SEAL®
Our professional-grade pavement sealer is the perfect solution when it comes time to sealcoat your pavement, and it’s designed to seal, protect and beautify aging asphalt. Additionally, INTEGRA-SEAL® is also free of odors or health and environmental concerns that are typically associated with coal-tar-based sealers.
When utilizing our product, you’ll reap benefits such as:
- Zero VOCs
- Easy application
- Coal-tar-free composition
- Non-skid formulation
- Superior adhesion
- Increased durability
Apply Our Sealer in 3 Easy Steps
It’s vital to seal your pavement because if you don’t it can unravel and start to form potholes. But with just three easy steps you’ll be on your way to extending the life of your pavement.
- Before applying our sealer, make sure to clean your surface with water and a stiff broom. Rinse and let it dry completely.
- Pre-treat oil stains with UNIQUE’s KWIK-LOK® pavement primer. Apply a liberal coating of INTEGRA-SEAL® asphalt sealer to your pavement or driveway.
- Squeegee the excess material with even pressure to spread the sealer over the remaining unsealed surface.
What Makes Us Truly UNIQUE
Unlike other asphalt supply companies, UNIQUE Paving Materials offers products for every weather condition and season. Plus, our company has a history of innovation, solving the most challenging road maintenance problems.
By choosing UNIQUE Paving Materials, you’re choosing a company with:
- A history that began 50 years ago – After spending twenty years in the paving industry, our founder, Tom Letizia, Sr., dreamed of having a family-owned company. This business would be devoted to offering premium products and superior service, aspects we maintain to this day.
- Strong testimonials – We pride ourselves on offering reliable and consistent performance in our products. Look at our testimonials page and discover what satisfied customers have to say about all we provide.
- Quality control – UNIQUE maintains quality control via strict procedures at each stage of production, from testing all of our raw materials all the way through to the creation of the finished product.
- A dedication to innovation – We have an industry-leading lab and R&D team that is continuously researching, testing, and developing new solutions. This team also provides high-performance, trusted solutions alongside our new ones, ensuring the goals for your maintenance, rejuvenation, restoration, and preservation projects are met.
Contact Us to Discuss Your Options for Sealcoating
If you’re looking to get started on sealcoating your pavement or just want to learn more about our products, contact our team today.