If you have been searching for a reliable product that will repair your concrete hairline cracks, UNIQUE Paving Materials has just what you need. With exceptional experience in developing materials for paving, road repair, and preservation, we carry products that will provide strength and stability for your concrete.
At UNIQUE, we offer concrete repairing solutions that will solidify any cracks or damaged spots that need to be filled. When it comes to hairline concrete cracks, we provide products that deliver high-performing results to ensure your hairline crack repairs in concrete goes smoothly.
What Do Hairline Cracks Look Like?
Hairline cracks in concrete are simple to fix and maintain once they are found, though they are quite small and may not be noticeable. When concrete is poured in hot weather, these small cracks can develop in just a few hours after the job has been completed.
Such cracks often aren’t too noticeable, since they are about 0.003 inches in width and are usually quite shallow, but it is important that once found they are maintained with a concrete filler. The reason for this is because these small cracks often extend through the entire slab of concrete, no matter the thickness.
Typical Causes of Hairline Cracks
The main cause of hairline cracks is shrinkage. While concrete losing moisture too quickly is a big reason these cracks appear, there still can be other factors that increase the chances for hairline cracks. These factors include:
- Variations in air temperature, concrete temperature, relative humidity, and wind velocity at the concrete surface
- Bleeding and sedimentation
- Substandard craftsmanship during original work
- Water loss due to absorption by formwork, subgrade, or aggregate
- Alkali-aggregate reactions
- Type and dosage rate of chemical admixtures
- Construction operations like screeding and finishing operations
How to Repair Hairline Cracks in Concrete
One product that we offer at UNIQUE Paving Materials is our Fast-Setting Concrete Patch. This solution is ideal for hairline crack repair because it will preserve and protect your concrete area while also providing the durability to seal out any water from entering the cracks, in any type of weather or climate.
Our concrete patch is designed specifically to fill cracks and joints in any concrete surface that you may need to repair. Some additional features include:
- High early strength
- Excellent bond strength
- Freeze-thaw resistance
- Sulfate resistance
- Open to foot traffic in one hour
- Open to vehicle traffic in three hours
- Exceeds 300 freeze/thaw cycles
Additionally, this product is applicable to nearly any horizontal concrete application less than six inches deep. So this concrete patching material provides a fast-setting, durable solution that is designed for concrete hairline crack repair on both small hairline cracks and cracks up to six inches.
This product is suitable and ideal for all concrete surfaces including:
- Cement flooring
- Parking garages
- Bridge decks
So choose this solution for hairline crack repair in concrete because it is durable and fast setting. It is also able to withstand any weather conditions, making it suitable for concrete in any location.
Another product we supply that can help in cases of filling cracks and joints is our UNIQUE® Concrete Pourable Crack Filler. This reliable and cost-effective solution helps preserve and protect concrete pavement, while sealing out water.
A few benefits of utilizing our crack filler include:
- Free of coal tar
- Easily adheres to pavement
- Excellent cold-weather flexibility
- A six-month shelf life when unopened
- Available in quart and gallon bottles, pails, and drums
Repairing Hairline Cracks – Steps to Follow
When it comes to fixing a hairline crack, it involves filling the gap using an effective material, such as our Fast-Setting Concrete Patch, to restore the original appearance. Here are some steps to follow so that you can successfully repair these cracks.
- Clean the cracked surface and its interior – You need to clean the crack to help eliminate any dirt or stains that may be on the surface. By cleaning any external materials that covered the surface, the filling material will have a more proper bond.
- Make the crack moist – At least seven hours before applying the filling material or grout into the crack, you need to moisten the hairline crack on the surface. This helps prevent the concrete from absorbing water from the applied material. With that being said, be cautious that water does not stand or clog the surface as it will dry out before properly sealing the crack.
- Prepare the sealant – Prep using our Fast-Setting Concrete Patch. With this product, you’ll receive a sealant with excellent bond strength, rapid drying time, and durability.
- Apply the sealant into the crack – After you properly clean and moisten the cracks, you can go ahead and apply the sealant!
- Cure the concrete cracks – Begin curing as soon as the surface has lost its moist sheen. Keep exposed surfaces wet for a minimum of one hour.
Precautions to Take for Hairline Crack Repairs
If you are a homeowner and are engaging in concrete hairline crack repair work yourself, be aware that it might take some practice and patience to get your cracks to vanish and for your color to match. If you’re hiring a professional to oversee the work, they should have the experience necessary to address these concerns.
Why It’s Important to Start Concrete Hairline Crack Repair Immediately
While hairline cracks may seem purely cosmetic, they can lead to bigger issues, so it’s important to still address them sooner rather than later. Water can possibly seep into your basement or crawl space through these hairline fractures, which can ultimately expand and cause greater problems.
Fixing these hairline cracks early with the correct hairline crack repair products will be easier, and save you the hassle of dealing with major structural issues later on. One of the things you can definitely do is keep a close eye on the crack, because if it is larger or seems to be growing larger, you’re going to want to inspect the foundation to ensure there are no other issues.
After Concrete Hairline Crack Repair, What’s Next?
Once you have completed your hairline crack repairs, you will want to ensure that your work lasts and that your concrete is protected for the future. One final step you may want to complete is using a concrete sealer to form a protective barrier for new and old concrete against water, deicing salts, and contaminants.
Benefits of our sealer include a ready-to-use formula, excellent adhesion to pavement surfaces, UV resistance, breathability, slip resistance, and more.
The Best Products for Hairline Crack Repair
At UNIQUE, we strive to provide an array of concrete repair products that can help accommodate any of your needs. With over 60 years of experience, we have remained a national leader in concrete repair and are ready to help you save time and money by utilizing our concrete hairline crack repair products.
If you aren’t sure which product best suits your hairline concrete crack repair situation, you can request a free sample of any of our products! We are here to assist you in finding the best solution for your concrete hairline crack repair.
Reach Out to Us for Concrete Hairline Crack Repair Materials
For more information or answers to any questions, contact us today and we will be happy to assist you in finding the best UNIQUE product for you.