Whether you own a home or a business, or oversee a property for an organization, making sure that the exterior is suitably maintained is vital. Not only does poorly managed asphalt affect the aesthetics, curb appeal, and resale value of the property, but safety concerns can also arise, with damaged or lose asphalt putting families, employees, or guests at risk.
With this in mind, it’s vital to stay on top of your asphalt maintenance and keep everything in order, and we at UNIQUE Paving Materials have the knowledge and products you need to do just that. Read on for tips on when to replace asphalt, as well as resurfacing vs. repairing vs. replacing asphalt.
When to Repair Asphalt Through Patching
Over time, problems can arise in your asphalt’s surface, often brought about by the extreme heat and cold of summer and winter months, and quick changes in temperature. When you notice these issues, you may be wondering whether to repair or replace your asphalt, and thankfully, in this case, it’s the former.
- When your asphalt features small issues such as divots, minor cracks, and holes, repairing by patching the surface can often be the best and least costly approach for you. As a general rule, damage to the surface that is less than a quarter-inch wide is ideal for liquid crack filling.
- Should your driveway, parking lot, or other surface feature some larger cracks, patching is not totally out of the question, however. If the surface is only moderately damaged, some of the damaged material in the trouble spots can be removed, with new asphalt being poured in and leveled to create a fix and a much more appealing look.
- One thing that is important to remember is that the sooner you see to your asphalt patching the better, since issues that are left untreated will merely grow over time, leading to more extensive and more costly fixes in the future.
When to Resurface Your Asphalt
If your asphalt has more than minor issues and is starting to feature cracks and divots on a greater span of its surface, it may be time to consider resurfacing. Resurfacing allows you to add new layers of asphalt to your existing surface, delivering a fresh and attractive final product.
- Prior to resurfacing, repairing the small cracks, divots, and holes as part of patching is still essential, however, since if these problems are left untreated, over time they will show through the new layers, putting you back to where you started, more or less.
- Due to this, you will want to patch these areas so that you have a nice, smooth, and repaired surface to work with, then use resurfacing to complete the job and give it the finished look you desire.
- Asphalt resurfacing is also often the best choice when it comes to aesthetics or curb appeal, since patching, while functional and helpful, lacks the clean look most people are searching for. A full resurfacing, however, will make your driveway, parking lot, or other surface look brand new.
If the underlying asphalt you are working with is no longer sound, though, you would now be put in the position of considering repairing vs. replacing asphalt and the costs that the latter entails.
When to Replace Asphalt
As mentioned above, time and exposure to the elements will wear down your asphalt’s integrity, and in the span of about fifteen to twenty years you can expect to need an asphalt replacement. Replacements are likely also needed if your asphalt features cracks on one-third or more of its surface. When it comes to repairing or replacing asphalt, know that the latter will be the costlier option, but it can deliver a better long-term solution and a higher resale value for your property.
You will want to consult an expert in the field before deciding on this option, of course, as it is possible less extensive fixes, like those mentioned above, will suffice.
Once you land on replacing your asphalt in total and complete the work, you will once again have a fresh, attractive, and safe surface for cars and pedestrians, and one which you can expect to last in good condition for another fifteen to twenty years.
Considering Repairing vs. Replacing Asphalt? We’ve Got the Products You Need!
When it comes to asphalt repair, UNIQUE Paving Materials has the reliable products you’re looking for. Some of our asphalt products include the following:
- UPM® Cold Mix – Our asphalt patching material is utilized by municipalities, contractors, and business owners to permanently fill potholes and repair roads.
- KOLD-FLO® Crack Filler – For filling unsightly and dangerous cracks in your asphalt, use this product, which is Gilsonite-modified, fast-curing, and ideal for protecting your surface from freeze-thaw cycles.
- INTEGRA-SEAL® Rejuvenating Asphalt Sealer – Engineered to seal, protect, and beautify aging asphalt, this product is perfect for giving your surface a fresh, new look.
- MICROMIX® Mini Cold Mix – For shallow asphalt repairs, use this option, which is suited for fixing eroding cracks, shallow pavement pop-outs, and alligator cracking.
Be sure to review our individual product pages linked above for full details, and visit our asphalt repair section and the dropdown on our menu for even more options.
Looking for Some More Tips? Check Out Our Blog!
We regularly post relevant and in-depth articles on asphalt and concrete repair work, as well as application possibilities and product spotlights. Some of our recent posts have included:
- The Best Products for Repairing Asphalt Tennis Courts
- Tips for How to Fill Large Cracks in Concrete
- The Best Products for Repairing Asphalt Basketball Courts
- Asphalt Maintenance in the Spring
- Learn How to Patch Concrete Using the Proper UNIQUE Products
- What Is Pavement Preservation and Why Is It Important?
If you have any questions about any of these posts or potential product applications, feel free to reach out to our team, who will be happy to help!
Need to Repair or Replace Asphalt? Contact Us!
If you’ve got a project on the horizon or underway that needs the best asphalt repair materials, UNIQUE Paving Materials is your resource. Get in touch with us and we’ll assess your needs and help you select the ideal solution!