When it comes to concrete and asphalt upkeep, it is important to make sure that your pavement is more than prepared to take on traffic flows and heavy usage. With that in mind, one of the most common, yet detrimental, issues pavement can endure is fatigue cracking.
If you are wondering “what is fatigue cracking?” then UNIQUE Paving Materials is here to help identify the issue and why it occurs, as well as provide you with products that will exceed your application needs.
About Fatigue Cracking
Fatigue cracking in pavement, also known as alligator or crocodile cracking, is a series of interconnected cracks that appear in either asphalt or concrete. If not properly repaired, the damage can expand rapidly, which can ultimately endanger the overall viability and appearance of your pavement.
Some of the main reasons that fatigue cracking in pavement can occur include the following:
- The overloading of pavement – The thickness of pavement is dependent on the predicted amount of weight that it will need to support. For example, A busy street would typically have more vehicles on it than a less crowded street in a neighborhood, so the asphalt would be poured to support the given traffic patterns. Because of this, fatigue cracking in pavement can happen when the asphalt that is poured is too thin to support the amount of traffic on the road.
- The erosion of the foundation underneath – Water penetration into the pavement’s foundation can be a leading cause of ongoing erosion and fatigue cracking in asphalt. To avoid future issues, it is important to repair potholes and cracks in a timely fashion, as well as provide proper drainage for the foundation underneath the pavement itself.
- General installation errors – Common installation errors that can result in fatigue cracking include weak underlying soil. If not properly tended to before pouring and properly compacting the asphalt, cracks in the foundation can occur and spread, causing the need for an immediate repair.
How Our Products Can Fix Fatigue Cracking in Asphalt
At UNIQUE Paving Materials, we are here to supply you with the materials needed to repair and prevent fatigue cracking in pavement. Since 1959, we have been one of the leading providers of pavement repair equipment that will save you time, money, and repeated repairs.
Some of the products that we offer to fix fatigue cracking in asphalt or concrete include the following:
- UPM® Cold Mix
- KOLD-FLO® Pourable Crack Filler
- INTEGRA-SEAL® Asphalt Sealer
- UNIQUE® Pourable Concrete Crack Filler
Though our concrete and asphalt repair products are intended to reduce the presence of fatigue cracking, it is important that you take the necessary precautions to circumvent the issue. To do so, our team at UNIQUE Paving Materials recommends that you construct a sub-base in order to accommodate the traffic load, as well as provide a good drainage system to keep the water out of that sub-base. For more information regarding our expansive product line, please visit our individual product pages.
Contact UNIQUE Paving Materials for Products for Fatigue Cracking!
If you are looking for asphalt and concrete repair materials to fix fatigue cracking, let our team provide the reliable products to satisfy your needs.
Contact us today to learn more about our products for fatigue cracking in pavement, as we are looking forward to assisting you in any way that we can.