Winter temperatures can have adverse effects on a range of surfaces, with concrete being no exception. Cold temperatures themselves can affect freshly poured concrete, but the freeze-thaw cycles that they cause can also be detrimental to the quality of your concrete surfaces. It’s important to understand how winter weather affects concrete so that you can prevent or treat your concrete accordingly.
Preventing Winter Damage on Concrete
When temperatures consistently drop below 40 degrees, it’s officially winter weather, which brings about a host of problems. Winter damage on concrete can be serious, which is why it’s best to prevent it before it can even begin. UNIQUE® Concrete Sealer is designed to protect your concrete surfaces from the freeze-thaw cycles that accompany winter weather so you can be confident in your concrete’s integrity.
Freeze-thaw cycles occur as water-saturated concrete expands and contracts once it’s exposed to cold temperatures. Both new and old concrete surfaces are affected by freeze-thaw cycles, with more damage occurring year over year as the cycles take place.
A concrete sealer forms a protective barrier that helps prevent water and deicing salt from penetrating the surface of your concrete. At UNIQUE Paving Materials, our concrete sealer is ASTM C-309 VOC-complaint, non-yellowing acrylic, and is ready to get the job done. Reducing concrete damage in the winter is a priority for contractors, homeowners, landlords, and more, and it’s a task best accomplished by taking preventative steps and utilizing concrete sealer.
Repairing Concrete Damage in Winter
Repairing concrete damage in the winter can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. When you know that you need to make repairs, simply secure a high-quality product and apply it to your surface when the temperature is at 40 °F or higher for best results.
At UNIQUE, we’ve designed a line of products that are ideal for cold weather concreting, including:
- UNIQUE® High-Performance, Fast-Set Mortar Concrete Patching Material – Our fast-setting concrete patching material will ensure that traffic can resume normal operations as soon as possible. With excellent bond strength and freeze-thaw resistance, our concrete patch allows you to open to foot traffic in just one hour after application, and vehicle traffic after only three.
- UNIQUE® Highway DOT Fast-Set, Ready-to-Use Concrete Mix – With high early strength, our highway patch mix is a carefully calculated combination of 3/8” stone or gravel, hydraulic cement, sand, and performance-enhancing additives. The quick-setting nature of our Highway DOT mix allows for an efficient repair of winter damage on concrete.
- UNIQUE FLEXICRETE® XP Polymer-Modified Mortar – If you’re dealing with concrete repairs, you may already know how winter weather affects concrete and how essential a worthwhile fix is. That’s why our FLEXICRETE is so carefully engineered to help you repair winter damage on concrete. Designed with superior bonding and flexural strength, our modified mortar is capable of helping you repair any winter concrete damagequickly and effectively.
- UNIQUE® Overhead and Vertical Repair Mortar – Overhead and vertical concrete repair mortar is here to help you repair those difficult overhead concrete surfaces. Repairing vertical and overhead concrete surfaces, especially in the winter, can pose unique challenges, which is why our polymer-modified mortar ensures that your repairs are long-lasting.
- POSTCRETE GROUT/WS® Hydraulic Cement – Making winter repairs to water-bearing surfaces? Our formula with hydraulic cement is designed to make these processes simple and effective.
Understand How Winter Weather Affects Concrete: Prevent It and Repair It with UNIQUE Paving Materials
Winter damage on concrete can certainly be detrimental to the overall lifespan and quality of any concrete surface. We understand how important it is to be able to protect and repair your concrete in all weather conditions, which is why with our line of concrete repair products your concrete will never have to go unrepaired or untreated.
Contact Us Today to Repair Winter Damage on Concrete
Ready to get started treating and repairing your concrete surfaces? Now that you understand how winter weather affects concrete and which products are ideal for certain applications, it’s just a matter of choosing the product that’s right for you! Our team is here to help, whether you need product recommendations or guidance.
Contact us today to get started repairing winter damage on concrete.