While they can be common, weeds are definitely not something you want to deal with all year round. In addition to being difficult to remove permanently, they also make your driveway, sidewalks, or patios look unappealing. It’s important to understand how to properly remove them so your property can look its best.
Read our list below to discover the effective ways to kill weeds in your environment.
This product typically found in homes can also serve as a weed killer. Typically, you’ll want to use white vinegar as it tends to be the most effective and you can apply it with a spray bottle.
Mix the vinegar with dish soap and a cup of salt and you’ll be good to spray the weeds all around. Keep in mind that you might need to do it more than once in order to get the full effect. Also, that vinegar kills any plants that it comes into contact with.
Another way to kill weeds is by merely pouring boiling water over them. This is a simple solution and is perfect to try out if you don’t have any materials on hand. Since boiling water can reach the taproot, you’re able to get rid of weeds permanently, and with it being a nontoxic method, there won’t be any long-term negative effects on the surrounding vegetation.
This is a fast and efficient solution that will work for you, but there are some risks that are associated with weed killers. Since they are made up of harsh chemicals, when they leak into the soil they can have harmful effects on the environment.
You want to be sure that it’s a calm day if utilizing this option and that there isn’t any wind. If not, you risk having the herbicides blowing onto other plants. To be sure that you use your chosen weed killer safely, read and follow the instructions listed on the product.
Dig Them Out
Another simple way to get rid of weeds is by simply pulling them out with your hand. The biggest thing here is ensuring you are able to get down to the root. If you can’t, it won’t get rid of the weeds and they will eventually grow back.
Use Salt or Baking Soda
Using other household items such as baking soda and salt can also kill weeds. With salt, the key is to create a saltwater mixture for best results. But just like herbicides, saltwater is detrimental to other plants so be cautious when applying.
Baking soda is a natural product and therefore you won’t have to worry about soil contamination. It has a high salt content so that when you pour it over weeds, it dries them out and eventually they die. To use this properly, you’d wet the weeds and then sprinkle baking soda on top.
How to Prevent Weeds in Your Pavement, Patios and Decks
While they can’t always be avoided, a key part of maintaining a healthy pavement and avoiding weeds is by taking preventative measures. Ideally, you’d want to take these measures before installing any pavement. However, if that’s already happened, here are ways to keep your property free of weeds.
Use Landscaping Fabric
If you haven’t poured concrete yet, there are some things you can do to prevent weeds from occurring. Landscaping fabric is a material that is laid underneath that will keep weeds from emerging and can be used for your driveway, walkway, or patios. Fabric is typically chemical-free and water permeable, designed for concrete. Mesh is a heavy-duty landscaping fabric that has punched holes.
Whichever material you decide to go with, it will make for a great physical barrier that prevents weeds from emerging from the dirt.
Try Polymeric Sand
This solution is helpful if you’re in the process of installing any pavers. Once the stone is in place, the idea is to utilize polymeric sand and fill the spaces between it. When the polymers dry, the sand between the pavers gets hard and cements them together. The sand doesn’t wash away and creates an effective barrier, making it impossible for weeds to grow between.
If you’re noticing that weeds are coming up through cracks of your deck, patio, or sidewalk, you can start preventing future weeds by sealing the cracks. Crack filler is a great inexpensive option that you can apply yourself.
Use Our UNIQUE® Pourable Concrete Crack Filler
We know that you want to take care of weeds quickly, which is why we’ve created an easy-to-apply crack filler that you don’t need special training or equipment to get started.
With the UNIQUE® Pourable Concrete Crack Filler, you can perform these driveway, patio, and sidewalk repairs on your own. It’s a cost-effective solution, and with these three easy steps you’ll be on your way to preserving the look and lifespan of your pavement.
- Using a broom or leaf blower, blow or sweep any debris from the cracks. Also, make sure you are removing the weeds before starting the process of filling cracks.
- Pour or pump our crack filler into three quarters of the length of the crack. Allow a few minutes for the concrete crack filler to seep completely into the crack.
- Squeegee the crack filler into the crack using a U- or V-shaped squeegee. Proper squeegeeing helps decrease the surface cure time. Multiple coats may be applied for deeper and undermined areas. Allow 1-2 hours of curing time between coats if needed.
Plus, by choosing UNIQUE Paving Materials, you’ll be selecting a company that stands out. Some of the qualities that make us who we are in the road repair industry include:
- Quality control – We guarantee optimal product performance, from testing all raw materials to the finished production. All of our products must pass stringent quality control procedures to be a part of the UNIQUE product collection.
- Innovation – Our research and development team and our industry-leading lab allows us to meet the ever-changing needs of the pavement repair market. By us continuously researching, testing and developing new solutions, we are able to take on a variety of projects.
- People – The leadership in our industry is driven by experienced people with a passion for results. From our president through every department of the company, we can fulfill our promise to deliver performance now and down the road.
Contact Us Today to Prevent Weeds with Our Products
Our products are proven to save time and money, and even eliminate repeated issues with repairs, or in this case preventing weeds from reoccurring. If you’re looking to invest in our crack filler to deal with weeds all year round, contact our team today.