Driveways, parking lots, and roads made of asphalt are subjected to elements that wear down their surface with time, resulting in costly replacements if they are not properly maintained. Luckily, we have collected our favorite tips and products that can help maintain your pavement and keep it in good health for the long run.
Effective Ways to Practice Asphalt Maintenance
The key to pavement preservation is about using the right materials to fix smaller issues that can otherwise result in expensive, long-term damage. The best part about pavement maintenance is that it includes relatively simple steps, meaning most of it can be completed on your own with some research, or the help of a small contractor if you are more comfortable.
To preserve the lifespan of your asphalt pavement, take the following steps:
1. Conduct Routine Cleaning
Regular cleanup efforts can make a difference in the overall health of your asphalt surfaces. By removing trash, debris, leaves, snow, and ice, you can clearly identify areas that need maintenance and tackle those projects at a lower cost.
Additionally, debris and other material sitting on the surface of your asphalt can disrupt its water runoff patterns, causing water to pool, which leads to cracking, potholes, or crumbling.
2. Practice Repairing Cracks
Sealing and repairing cracks as soon as the eyes can detect them is one of the key ways to maintain healthy asphalt. Cracks are ultimately responsible for letting water seep down, deteriorating the foundation of your pavement. Detecting and repairing cracks of all sizes can save you from experiencing trouble down the line.
3. Use a Seal Coat
Seal coating your asphalt protects it from water damage, chemical spills, oil spills, and harm from the sun. This process seals small cracks in the process, making it stronger and further preventing damage. Additionally, it gives the pavement a great visual appeal while making it easier to clean. While this option is not as feasible for roads, it is a great choice for driveways, parking lots, and residential neighborhood streets.
When seal coating, it is important to do all other forms of maintenance first, as it is counterproductive to seal in all of the impurities and large holes. This will ensure that the surface is ready for sealing and acts as the final touch to the maintenance project. Be prepared to seal your surface every few years, as it will reduce long-term damage and add to the visual appeal of your space.
Products to Use When Practicing Asphalt Maintenance
UNIQUE Paving Materials has over 50 years of experience manufacturing road repair materials that save time and money by reducing the need for repeated repairs. When you are in the market for asphalt repair materials, check out our selection of user-friendly products:
- INTEGRA-SEAL® Gilsonite-Modified, Asphalt-Based Sealer – Use this professional grade sealer to seal, protect, and beautify aging asphalt without creating heavy odors or environmental concerns
- KOLD-FLO® Pourable Emulsion Crack Filler – This pourable crack filler is designed to seal out water, dirt, and other harmful materials to preserve roads, driveways, parking lots, and other asphalt surfaces
- UPM® Permanent Pavement Repair Material – Our cold asphalt patch is the perfect solution for anyone looking to permanently fill potholes without the need for extensive downtime
Benefits of Maintaining Your Asphalt Pavement
Now that you know the ways to maintain your surfaces and the products to use, let’s look into the advantages of doing so. Check out the benefits of asphalt maintenance below:
- Increasing visual appeal – Asphalt that has cracks or holes does not create a good reputation for a city or the buildings it is nearby. By maintaining your asphalt, you’ll boost the curb appeal of a property and give the area an aesthetically pleasing look.
- Maintaining safety – Not only are potholes annoying to drive over, but they can also cause accidents. Whether a hole on a highway causes a car to swerve into a different lane or a crater in a parking lot causes someone to trip, there are hazards associated with unkept asphalt that can be prevented.
- Maximizing function – By working to extend the life of your asphalt, you can maintain the intended functionality of the space and prevent further damage. For example, if water settles and freezes on uneven areas, people will not want to park nearby to avoid the possibility of slipping.
- Improving budget – When you practice pavement preservation, you save yourself the trouble of having to do frequent remodels, which can be timely and expensive. This leaves more room in your budget for other repairs and anything else you need.
Start Maintaining Your Asphalt Surfaces Today
Whether it’s summer or fall, it is never too early to start practicing pavement restoration. With the UNIQUE Paving Materials line of products and tips, you will be prepared to fix your surfaces accordingly.
If you are interested in learning more about asphalt surface repair and more, be sure to reach out to our knowledgeable team of professionals.